SIU Lays Charges against Officer in Relation to Death of Abdirahman Abdi
Case Number: 16-OCD-193
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-193
- One count of manslaughter, contrary to section 236(b);
- One count of aggravated assault, contrary to section 268; and
- One count of assault with weapon, contrary to section 267(a).
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342