SIU Investigation Started following Bank Robbery and Crash in Guelph
Case Number: 17-OVI-201
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-201
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an incident in which a young man was seriously injured following a bank robbery in Guelph.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 10:30 a.m., Guelph Police Service received a call about a bank robbery.
- Police officers responding to the call located a suspect vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle struck a sign at 1499 Gordon Street.
- Following the collision, two young men were arrested.
- A third young man – who was in a rear passenger seat of the vehicle that crashed – was rushed to hospital. He is in serious condition.
Two investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and four witness officers are part of this investigation.
The SIU is asking anyone who may have information about this incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU Web site.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342