Single Vehicle Rollover near Smiths Falls Subject of SIU Investigation
Case Number: 17-PVI-232
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PVI-232
The province’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation into a single vehicle rollover on Highway 15 outside Smiths Falls.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just after midnight on August 27, 2017, Ontario Provincial Police and Smiths Falls police officers were called to a dispute.
- When police officers arrived, a man in a vehicle fled.
- A short time later, police officers saw the fleeing vehicle.
- At this point, the fleeing vehicle struck two police cruisers.
- Not long after, the fleeing vehicle crashed on Highway 15 at Golf Club Road.
- The driver of the vehicle – a 29-year-old man – was taken to hospital.
Three investigators, two forensic investigators, and a collision reconstructionist have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is asking anyone who may have information about this incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU Web site.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342