SIU Terminates Investigation into Death of Man in Rideau Township
Case Number: 17-PCD-136
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PCD-136
- In the afternoon hours of June 3, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police officer with the Rideau Lakes detachment contacted the man by phone to advise him of pending charges. The officer advised the man to turn himself in, and told the man he would be released on an undertaking.
- At 3:20 p.m., the man called 911 and reported that he had shot himself.
- Police officers and paramedics were dispatched to the man’s home, where he was located in nearby bushes.
- He was transported to the Ottawa Civic Hospital by air ambulance, and underwent surgery.
- The man succumbed to his injuries. He was pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m. on June 9, 2017.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342