Investigation Started into Injury Man Suffered During Arrest in Etobicoke
Case Number: 17-TCI-271
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-271
The province’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation into the circumstances surrounding an arrest early Sunday morning in Etobicoke.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Sometime after midnight on September 24, 2017, the Toronto Police Service received a call about a sexual assault.
- Just before 2:00 a.m., police officers located a man near Lakeshore Boulevard and Twenty Ninth Street.
- The 42-year-old man was arrested.
- He was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a serious injury.
Two investigators have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU has designated two subject officers and six witness officers as part of this investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342