SIU Investigating Death of Man in St. Catharines
Case Number: 18-OCD-019
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OCD-019
- At approximately 7 a.m. on Friday, January 26, 2018, officers with the Niagara Regional Police Service attended a pharmacy in the area of Welland Avenue and Catherine Street in response to a robbery.
- Immediately after his arrest, the man was taken to hospital and admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.
- The man was pronounced dead today at 4:20 p.m.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342