SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Hamilton
Case Number: 18-OFD-102
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-102
- At approximately 3:30 p.m. on April 3, 2018, the Hamilton Police Service received calls regarding an armed man on Caledon Avenue, north of Tyrone Drive.
- Police attended the area and became involved in an interaction with a 19-year-old man.
- Two police officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342