Waterloo Regional Police Service Officer Charged
Case Number: 17-OSA-330
(6 April, 2018) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Tony Loparco, has caused charges to be laid against a Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) officer in relation to an incident that reportedly occurred in October of 2017.
The SIU was contacted by WRPS on November 10, 2017 regarding a complaint of a sexual nature against the officer. The alleged assault reportedly occurred against a woman in Kitchener on October 26, 2017.
As a result of the SIU investigation, Constable Jeffrey Hall is facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- One count of sexual assault, contrary to s. 271; and
- One count of breach of trust by public officer, contrary to s. 122.
Cst Hall is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 85 Frederick Street in Kitchener on May 2, 2018.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342