SIU Investigating Death of Woman in Zorra Township
Case Number: 18-PCD-227
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PCD-227
- On Friday, July 27, 2018, an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer with the Oxford detachment contacted the woman to ask her to turn herself in with respect to an ongoing investigation.
- As the woman had not turned herself in, an OPP officer went to her home at approximately 8:30 a.m. on July 29, 2018. There was no answer at the door, and the officer left.
- Shortly after, individuals who knew the woman found her deceased inside the home.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342