SIU Investigating Death of Man in Nipissing District
Case Number: 18-PCD-266
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PCD-266
- Shortly after noon on September 2, 2018, 911 received a call from a man who reported that his friend had fallen while hiking in the Jocko River area, and was in need of medical attention.
- The first responder was an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police North Bay detachment. The officer commenced first aid on the man.
- EMS and fire department personnel arrived shortly after and took over care of the man.
- A short while later, the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342