SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Pickering
Case Number: 18-PVD-344
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-PVD-344
- At approximately 9:30 a.m. on December 1, 2018, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was conducting speed enforcement on eastbound Highway 407, west of Brock Road.
- The officer observed a vehicle traveling eastbound on Highway 407 and began to follow it.
- The vehicle exited the highway and went southbound onto Brock Road.
- A short time later, the officer came across the vehicle. It had been involved in a collision with a Purolator courier truck.
- The driver of the vehicle which was being investigated was pronounced dead at the scene. The 36-year-old male driver of the Purolator was transported to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre where he remains in serious but stable condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342