SIU Investigating Man’s Arrest in Toronto
Case Number: 19-TCI-139
- At approximately 10 p.m. on June 18, 2019, the homeowner of a residence on Torrens Avenue contacted police to report that a man had broken into his home and now had barricaded himself inside a bedroom.
- Upon arriving at the scene, officers attempted to negotiate with the man.
- A short time later, Emergency Task Force officers forced their way into the bedroom and located the man with injuries.
- He was transported to hospital where he remains in the intensive care unit.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342