SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Toronto
Case Number: 19-TVD-144
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-TVD-144
- At approximately 7 p.m. on June 22, 2019, TPS officers were investigating a vehicle in a plaza parking lot located east of Scarborough Golf Club Road and Lawrence Avenue East.
- During this investigation, the vehicle of interest fled from the plaza and officers followed it.
- In the intersection of Scarborough Golf Club Road and Lawrence Avenue East, the vehicle struck another vehicle.
- The 77-year-old driver of the vehicle that was struck was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger from that vehicle – a 74-year-old woman – was taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. No one from the vehicle being investigated sustained serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342