SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Vaughan
Case Number: 19-OFI-193
- At approximately 8:15 p.m. on August 13, 2019, York Regional Police (YRP) officers identified a stolen vehicle traveling westbound on Steeles Avenue West, east of Islington Avenue, and attempted to stop it.
- Shortly after, the vehicle became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle.
- There was a confrontation between YRP officers and the driver of the stolen vehicle.
- One officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck. He was transported to hospital where he remains in serious condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342