SIU Investigating Death of Man in Lac Seul
Case Number: 19-POD-275
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-POD-275
- At approximately 5 p.m. on November 18, 2019, Lac Seul Police Service officers and Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers responded to a residence after receiving a call about a man who had barricaded himself.
- Police set up a perimeter and made attempts to contact the man.
- On the morning of November 19, 2019, the OPP Tactical Response Unit took control of the scene. Attempts to contact the man continued.
- Concerned for the man’s well-being, officers entered the residence. Soon after, the man sustained a fatal gunshot wound.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342