SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Mississauga Bank
Case Number: 19-OFI-286
- At approximately 3:50 p.m. on November 26, 2019, Peel Regional Police officers were conducting an investigation in the area of Dundas Street East and Cawthra Road. While they were conducting that investigation, they were flagged down by an individual who reported a bank robbery in progress.
- Officers made their way to the HSBC bank located in the Mississauga Chinese Centre plaza located at 888 Dundas Street East.
- Soon after officers entered the bank, there was an interaction with a male person.
- An officer discharged his firearm one time, and the male was struck.
- He was taken to hospital where he underwent surgery. He remains in hospital in stable condition.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342