SIU Investigating Death of Man in Windsor
Case Number: 20-OOD-002
- At approximately 8:30 p.m. on January 3, 2020, a vehicle was reported stolen from the area of Ottawa Street and Gladstone Avenue.
- A Windsor Police Service officer located the vehicle and followed it. In the area of Wyandotte Street and Church Street, the vehicle struck a parking sign.
- Two occupants from the vehicle fled on foot, with the driver being arrested quickly. The vehicle passenger – a 51-year-old man – made his way to a rooming house on Pelissier Street where he went into medical distress. An individual reported this, resulting in police and EMS attending the address.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342