SIU Investigating Incident in Ottawa
Case Number: 20-OFI-061
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-061
- At approximately 8:45 p.m. on March 15, 2020, Ottawa Police Service (OPS) officers were dispatched to an address on St. Laurent Boulevard for a disturbance call.
- Officers arrived and outside of the residence they located a 42-year-old man in possession of a knife.
- The man went back into a residence and officers followed and attempted to communicate with the man.
- At some point officers fired plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man.
- Paramedics attended the residence and transported the man to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Michael Webber, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342