SIU Investigating Incident in Ottawa
Case Number: 20-OFI-061
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-061
- At approximately 8:45 p.m. on March 15, 2020, Ottawa Police Service (OPS) officers were dispatched to an address on St. Laurent Boulevard for a disturbance call.
- Officers arrived and outside of the residence they located a 42-year-old man in possession of a knife.
- The man went back into a residence and officers followed and attempted to communicate with the man.
- At some point officers fired plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man.
- Paramedics attended the residence and transported the man to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Michael Webber, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342