SIU Investigating Interaction in Etobicoke Preceding Man’s Death
Case Number: 20-TCD-063
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on March 21, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an Etobicoke residence in the area of Burlington Street and Victoria Street to assist Emergency Medical Services.
- Upon arriving at the location, officers arrested a 33-year-old man. Soon after, he went vital signs absent.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342