SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Malton
Case Number: 20-OFD-144
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-144
- At approximately 5 p.m. on June 20, 2020, Peel Regional Police officers attended an apartment unit at 3425 Morningstar Drive to check on the well-being of a man.
- The man barricaded himself inside the unit, and for a period, officers were able to communicate with the man.
- Shortly after communication stopped, officers breached the door and entered the unit. An interaction occurred which included officers deploying a conducted energy weapon at the man, as well as firing plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield. When these had no effect, an officer discharged a firearm and the man was struck.
- The man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342