July 8, 2020 Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Hamilton Police-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 20-OFD-166
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-166
- Five SIU investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to the case.
- There were eight Hamilton Police Service officers involved in the incident. Subject and witness officer designations are underway.
- As a result of investigators completing a canvass of the area, several civilian witnesses have been interviewed and video footage has been secured and reviewed.
- From the scene, SIU investigators collected two police-issued firearms. In addition, a shotgun was recovered from the scene.
- The 42-year-old man remains in hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342