July 8, 2020 Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Hamilton Police-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 20-OFD-166
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-166
- Five SIU investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to the case.
- There were eight Hamilton Police Service officers involved in the incident. Subject and witness officer designations are underway.
- As a result of investigators completing a canvass of the area, several civilian witnesses have been interviewed and video footage has been secured and reviewed.
- From the scene, SIU investigators collected two police-issued firearms. In addition, a shotgun was recovered from the scene.
- The 42-year-old man remains in hospital.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342