Former Police Officer Charged in Relation to Alleged Historical Sexual Assaults in Brampton
Case Number: 19-OSA-288
(5 August, 2020) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Joseph Martino, has reasonable grounds to believe a former officer with the previous Brampton Police Force (BPF) committed criminal offences between 1967 and 1972. As a result, Director Martino has caused charges to be laid against the former officer.
On November 28, 2019, the SIU was made aware, through a civilian, of allegations against the former officer that were of a sexual nature. The alleged incidents occurred in the City of Brampton between 1967 to 1972 against a male youth when the former officer was a member of the BPF. In 1974, the BPF amalgamated with Peel Regional Police (PRP), and the then-officer became a PRP police officer. He subsequently resigned from the police service.
As a result of the SIU investigation, Frank Kohler is facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- Two counts of indecent assault, contrary to then section 148 and 156; and
- Two counts of gross indecency, contrary to then section 149 and 157.
Mr. Kohler is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 7755 Hurontario Street in Brampton on October 6, 2020.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342