SIU Investigating Interaction Preceding Man’s Fall from Bridge in Kitchener
Case Number: 20-PCI-266
- At approximately 10:15 p.m. on October 13, 2020, the Ontario Provincial Police received a call regarding a man running on Highway 8 near the Fairway Road exit.
- Officers were dispatched to the area, and one of the officers located the man. A brief struggle ensued before the man managed to flee on foot.
- Shortly after, the man fell from a bridge to the ground approximately 12 metres below.
- The man was airlifted to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342