SIU Investigating Etobicoke Woman’s Death
Case Number: 20-OCD-268
- At approximately 4:40 p.m. on April 18, 2020, a woman contacted 911, expressing concern for her daughter’s well-being. As a result, Peel Regional Police officers and Emergency Medical Services were dispatched to the mother’s Brampton home.
- Upon arriving at the home and assessing the situation with the assistance of a crisis worker, it was decided there were no grounds to detain the woman under the Mental Health Act and the officers left.
- Shortly after, the woman left the home. At approximately 7:45 p.m., an individual discovered the woman collapsed on the ground in the area of Royal West Drive and Adamsville Road. Emergency Medical Services attended but attempts to revive the woman were to no avail. She was pronounced deceased at the scene.
- A post-mortem was conducted on April 20, 2020.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342