SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-284
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-284
- At approximately 7 a.m. on October 26, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building on Bellamy Road to conduct an investigation as a result of a call made to 911.
- When officers arrived at an 8th floor apartment unit, they observed that a man had barricaded himself inside the unit. However, the officers were able to eventually make their way inside.
- The officers spoke with the man, and then apprehended him under the Mental Health Act and transported him to hospital.
- At hospital, the man went into medical distress and hospital staff made attempts to revive him. However, he was pronounced deceased at 10:15 a.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342