SIU Continues Investigation into Fatal Shooting on Manitoulin Island
Case Number: 20-PFD-314
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PFD-314
- On November 19, 2020, two OPP officers attended a property on Hindman Trail in Gore Bay after the property owner reported the presence of an unwanted man.
- Soon after arriving, officers located the man - who was inside a trailer - and there was an interaction.
- At approximately 11 a.m., there was an exchange of gunfire between Constable Marc Hovingh and the man, resulting in both individuals being struck.
- They were transported to hospital where both men succumbed to their injuries.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342