SIU Appeals for Witnesses to Kingston Custody Death
Case Number: 10-OCD-167
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-OCD-167
* At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, police responded to Bath Road, between Coronation Boulevard and Maple Ridge Drive, as they had received a call about a motorist in distress. The man was taken to Kingston General Hospital for treatment.
* At approximately 10:00 p.m., the man was released to police.
* As the man and officers were exiting the hospital, he collapsed.
* He was returned to the Emergency Room, where he was pronounced dead shortly after.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators are looking into this incident. The Lead Investigator is appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or who may have any information regarding any aspect of the above chain of events, to contact the Unit at 905-767-6843 or 1-800-787-8529. Investigators are aware of a woman who assisted the motorist prior to the arrival of police, and would also like to hear from her.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342