SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Toronto Arrest in Area of Victoria Park Avenue and Sheppard Avenue
Case Number: 22-TCI-244
- At approximately 4:45 a.m. on September 17, 2022, Toronto Police Service officers stopped a vehicle in the area of Victoria Park Avenue and Sheppard Avenue East for a Highway Traffic Act violation.
- Two men were inside the vehicle. Following a brief interaction, one of the men was arrested. The other man escaped apprehension.
- The man who was arrested was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES