SIU Investigating After London Police Officer Shoots Man with Less-Lethal Firearm
Case Number: 22-OFP-078
- At about 12:20 a.m., officers were called about a disturbance at an apartment in the area of Balfour Place and Trafalgar Street.
- Two people were located with serious injuries. Officers located a man armed with two knives.
- There was an interaction, and one officer shot the man with a less-lethal firearm. Conducted energy weapons were also discharged at the man.
- The man and the two other individuals were taken to hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES