SIU Investigating After OPP Officers Shoot at Man in Exchange of Gunfire on Hwy. 11/17
Case Number: 22-PFP-071
- At approximately 4 p.m. on March 8, 2022, Nipigon detachment officers observed a vehicle believed to be connected to a shooting earlier that day in Thunder Bay.
- Officers attempted to stop the driver in the area of Highway 11/17. There were multiple exchanges of gunfire between officers and the man driving the vehicle.
- Later the man was arrested.
- No injuries have been reported.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES