SIU Investigating After Police Officer Discharges ARWEN at Man in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 22-OFP-220
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OFP-220
- On the evening of August 29, 2022, TBPS officers had information that an individual of interest was in a residence on Ambrose Street.
- Officers were dispatched to the residence and communication was made with the occupants of the home.
- When a man came out of the home, there was an interaction between him and police. An ARWEN was deployed and the man was struck. The man was also bitten by a police dog. He was taken to hospital for treatment.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES