SIU Investigating After Waterloo Officer Shoots Man in Cambridge
Case Number: 22-OFI-118
- At approximately 12:25 p.m., officers went to a residence on Ironstone Drive for a call about a wellness check.
- There was an interaction between officers and the man, and one officer discharged his firearm at the man.
- The man was taken to hospital via ambulance. He remains in hospital with serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES