SIU Investigating Death of Man After Arrest in Mississauga
Case Number: 23-OCD-394
- At approximately 1:30 p.m. on September 13, 2023, a Peel Regional Police officer, along with a crisis worker and mental health nurse, attended the man’s residence on Silver Creek Boulevard after a request to assess his wellbeing.
- While there it became necessary to apprehend the man under the Mental Health Act.
- In the course of his apprehension, the man suffered an injury. He was taken to hospital and later, on September 25, 2023, died.
- The post-mortem examination is scheduled for tomorrow.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES