SIU Investigating Death of Man in Quinte West
Case Number: 22-PCD-124
- At approximately 9:30 a.m. on May 5, 2022, OPP officers with the Quinte West detachment arrested the man in the area of Front Street and Dundas Street West.
- The man was taken to the police station and lodged in a cell.
- At approximately 10:30 a.m., the man was found to be unresponsive. Emergency Medical Services (EMS) was called, and officers commenced first aid on the man, including the administration of naloxone.
- Upon arrival, EMS took over care of the man.
- At 11:14 a.m., the man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES