SIU Investigating Death of Man in The Archipelago
Case Number: 22-POD-130
- At approximately 12 p.m. on May 19, 2022, the man called police and informed that he intended to harm himself.
- As a result of speaking with the man’s family, Ontario Provincial Police officers made their way to a cottage on Shawanaga Landing.
- While on scene, officers heard the sound of a gunshot coming from near the water.
- Officers located the man, deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES