SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 21-TCD-374
- On November 3, 2021, Sheriff’s officers attempted to serve an eviction notice to a man at a residence near Keele Street and Finch Avenue in North York when the man flashed a firearm.
- At approximately 2:23 p.m., Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers responded to the residence. TPS officers made contact with the man before a gunshot was heard.
- TPS officers entered the residence and the man was located with critical injuries.
- TPS officers rendered provided first aid and the man was taken to hospital via ambulance.
- He was pronounced dead in hospital at 3:23 p.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342