SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting in Township of Cramahe
Case Number: 21-PFD-107
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-PFD-107
- At approximately 10:15 a.m. on April 6, 2021, Ontario Provincial Police officers were dispatched to the area of County Road 25 and Tobacco Road after an individual reported that a man was sitting in his parked car and yelling at people.
- Soon after officers arrived and located the man, the man approached the officers and was in possession of a baseball bat. The man struck one of the cruisers.
- The man then got into his vehicle and drove towards the officers.
- Soon after, the man exited the vehicle again. An interaction ensued and police deployed an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) and Conducted Energy Weapon (CEW). When those proved to be ineffective, two officers discharged their firearms at the man.
- Despite attempts by Emergency Medical Services to treat the man at the scene, he succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations