SIU Investigating Serious Injury Suffered by Man in Ottawa Police Officer Involved Collision
Case Number: 21-OVI-361
- At approximately 8:30 p.m., an officer struck a male pedestrian near Merivale Mall on Merivale Road in Ottawa.
- The officer was responding to an emergency call at a business in the mall.
- The man was transported to hospital where he is being treated for a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342