SIU Seeking Witnesses of Kipling Ave Crash in Toronto
Case Number: 22-TVI-299
- At approximately 2 p.m. on November 21, 2022, a Toronto Police Service officer in a marked cruiser was following the driver of a vehicle of interest on Kipling Avenue. The driver of that vehicle struck another vehicle in the intersection at Redwater Drive. A second vehicle was also struck and sustained minor damage.
- The driver of the vehicle of interest was arrested.
- Two people who were in the first vehicle that was struck were taken to hospital and diagnosed with serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES