SIU Seeking Witnesses of OPP Arrest, Man Seriously Injured in Georgian Bay
Case Number: 22-PCI-177
- At approximately 3:20 a.m. on July 10, 2022, Bracebridge OPP officers were called to go to the Canadian Pacific Railway yard at Front Street and Muskoka Road for a reported trespass and breaking and entering investigation.
- Officers located the man believed to be involved near a retail area on Front Street. During the interaction, officers discharged Conducted Energy Weapons. The man was arrested and transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with serious injuries.
- Video surveillance of the incident captured who appears to be a middle-aged woman walking toward the incident at about 3:25 a.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES