Update: Body of Man Found in Georgian Bay, Midland
Case Number: 21-POD-365
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-POD-365
- At approximately 3 p.m., a Southern Georgian Bay Ontario Provincial Police officer stopped the driver of a vehicle for a suspected Highway Traffic Act violation. The officer and the man conversed before the man entered the water in his vehicle near Bayshore Drive and William Street.
- Officers entered the water. The vehicle sank and the man did not exit the vehicle.
- At about 6:49 p.m., the body of the man was recovered from the water.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342