SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TFD-098
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TFD-098
- At approximately 12:15 p.m. on April 30, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were dispatched to the Best Western Hotel located at 50 Norfinch Drive in Toronto. They had received information that there was a man in a vehicle in the parking lot who was in possession of weapons.
- Officers located the vehicle of interest. As an officer exited his cruiser, the man also exited his vehicle.
- There was an interaction and the officer discharged his firearm multiple times, resulting in the man being struck.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342