SIU Investigating Death of Man in Fort Erie
Case Number: 21-OCD-018
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCD-018
- At approximately 2:10 p.m. on January 13, 2021, Niagara Regional Police Service officers responded to the area of Lakeshore Road and Adelaide Street to assist Emergency Medical Services with a violent patient who was in an ambulance and being transported from his home to hospital.
- The officers assisted in subduing the man and they applied handcuffs to him.
- On Thursday, January 14, 2021, the man passed away in hospital. He was pronounced deceased at 11:59 p.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342