SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injury in Napanee
Case Number: 11-PVI-247
Mississauga (5 December, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 21-year-old woman in Napanee early this morning.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 2:00 a.m. on December 5, officers stopped a vehicle going eastbound on Highway 401;
• An officer spoke to the driver of the vehicle, but a short time later she fled the scene. Officers followed.
• A short distance later, in the area of Switzerville Road, the car rolled over. The woman’s arm was severed in the vehicle rollover and she was taken to Kingston General Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Four witness officers and one subject officer with the OPP have been designated.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342