SIU Investigating Firearms injury in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TFI-257
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TFI-257
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearms injury to a 27- year old man in Toronto this evening.
At 9:15 p.m. December 15, 2011, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and advised the following;
• At about 8:34 p.m. officers were conducting an investigation in the area of Ontario Street and Gerrard Street;
• One officer discharged his firearm and a male was struck; and
• The male was transported to the hospital where he is awaiting surgery.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU are in the area to investigate the circumstances of this incident.
The SIU is asking anyone who may have witnessed this incident or has audio or video recordings relating to it, to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1 800 787 8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Oliver Gordon, Oliver.Gordon@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342