SIU Investigates Custody Injury in Brampton
Case Number: 11-OCI-258
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OCI-258
Mississauga (16 December, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the custody injury of a 44-year-old man in Brampton this afternoon.
Peel Regional Police (PRP) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 2:37 p.m. on December 16, 2011, officers responded to a call at a Cash Mart at 269 Queen Street East;
• Officer arrived and saw a man running out of the Cash Mart;
• A foot pursuit was initiated;
• Officers caught up to the male and there was an interaction in the area of Queen Street and Rutherford Road;
• The male was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a fractured sternum.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Oliver Gordon, Oliver.Gordon@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342