SIU Investigates Custody Injury in Kitchener
Case Number: 11-OCI-259
Mississauga (17 December, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 31-year-old man in Kitchener earlier this date.
On December 17th, 2011 at 03:05 a.m., the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 12:09 a.m. on December 17, the police service received a driving complaint from a citizen.
• At 12:45 a.m. an officer located the reported vehicle at the intersection of Victoria Street and King Street West in Kitchener. The vehicle had apparently collided with a concrete light pole.
• The driver was arrested and was being transported to the police station when he went into medical distress. He was transported to hospital and admitted.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1806 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1806.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lenard Shaw, Lenard.B.Shaw@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342