SIU Investigates Death in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TCD-267
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TCD-267
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a male in Toronto this date.
On December 28, 2011, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• Sometime around 3:50 p.m. this date, TPS officers responded to the Rosedale Bridge over the Bloor viaduct to speak with a male.
• While the officers were attempting to speak with the male, he fell from the bridge.
• The male was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1872.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Steven Gibbons, Steven.Gibbons@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342