SIU Investigates Death in Toronto
Case Number: 11-TCD-268
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-TCD-268
Mississauga (29 December, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a man in Toronto this evening.
On December 29, 2011, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following;
• At approximately 11:52 p.m. on December 28, officers from 43 Division went to 60 Town Centre Court, Scarborough in search of a wanted male party;
• The officers were speaking with a male person through an apartment door on the 21st floor;
• As the officers were in the hallway a neighbour came out of their apartment and reported that a male was attempting to get into their apartment from the balcony. The officers then entered the apartment;
• A male was attempting to climb from a balcony to another balcony and fell from the 21st floor landing on a 9th floor balcony;
• The male was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2038 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2038.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342