SIU Investigates Falling Death in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TCD-005
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCD-005
Mississauga (6 January, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a man in Toronto early this morning.
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 8:50 a.m. today, TPS officers responded to a 15th floor apartment unit at 285 Shuter Street after receiving a call;
• Upon arrival, officers heard shouting;
• A short time later, a male was found on the ground floor, vital signs absent. He was pronounced deceased at 9:06 a.m.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342